Drop down menu

Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

DIY Internal Windows - Component Suppliers


Here is a list of suppliers that I came across when looking for the window components. They are in Sydney but if you happen to have experience with any other from anywhere else in Australia, please let me know and I will update.




MISCELLANEOUS
You will probably find that you already have a lot of tools at home. You can even borrow tools because really if you're doing it once, you "need a hole, not a drill". But, in saying that, it's never bad to have them because lots of jobs are re-occurring frequently.




Hardware and General
Plastic cap profiles - they bought them from
iconplastics.com.au
a company making plastic caps that go around the acrylic sheet. I bought those Hardware and General. 
A little note here though: The cap profiles are very cheap ($3.10 / 2.4 m), because they are made of recycled materials. Because of that they sometimes come in slightly different shades of white. After I ran out and wanted to buy more I found that they were slightly different (grayish looking). H&G were very nice and ordered new ones for me. Then about a week later I bought new ones in the same colour.













Bunnings




There I got the following components:

Mainly, the sliding track, which was Triumph Sliding Door Track System. The door is supposed to be hanging on this one but you can turn it around and it will slide just as well. This is what you need for this purpose. More on that in the "Simple Sliding System" section.





The track cost $79 and it is 1830 mm long - enough for a smaller window.

Floor protector





















Wood














Metal profiles

 












WINDOW PANES (Acrylic Sheets)

Plastix
http://www.plastix.com.au (I have a very good experience with this one, it was also cheaper than one of the other ones below)
They told me quite a lot about properties and gave me the weight calculation formula.












Allplastics - I have no experience with this company.
allplastics.com.au


North Shore Timber
https://www.nst.net.au/

- I found a suitable pine middle beam there. It was about $46 / 2.4 m which was enough for both windows. It had to be painted because it was primed yellow.

Cut to Size Plastics - I stumbled across this company by chance - they were more expensive and so I didn't deal with them further



SELF-ADHESIVE MAGNETS
There are plenty of options on Ebay but you should get a proper one. There are magnets sold specifically for this purpose. Here is an example  of a good magnet or  another example of of one with a steel tape coil if you decided to used the sheet without the white plastic cap profile on the edges.













Just search for "SELF ADHESIVE MAGNETIC TAPE WINDOW" on Ebay. This one was sent from the UK.









No comments:

Post a Comment